More delicious than your average iron supplement

Quickie post, just to remind y'all that I love you, even though I've been wicked busy.

I'm always looking for ways to use up kale, because I get it in my produce basket every time and quite frankly, I don't much like the stuff. But it's full of iron and all sorts of other awesome nutrients. The thing with iron is that you need vitamin C to absorb more of it. This was a perfect excuse for a smoothie. You just put in some fruit that's loaded with vitamin C and you also absorb your iron like a dream. Kiwis fit the bill, and when mixed with strawberries, makes the best-tasting iron supplement I've ever had.

Mission accomplished.

Strawberry-Kiwi Smoothie
 Makes 1 large serving
1 large kale leaf, stem removed
2/3 cup water
3 frozen strawberries, sliced*
1 frozen kiwi, sliced*
In a heavy-duty blender, blend the kale with the water until you have a smooth-ish green liquid and only see very small flecks of green from the kale. Add the frozen fruit and blend until smooth, stopping the machine and stirring with a spoon every so often, if necessary. Pour it into a glass and enjoy! I eat mine with a spoon like soft serve.

* I just freeze my own fruit. I know roughly how many slices are in one strawberry (4) and one kiwi (5), and that way I can eyeball it.

Comments