Sinfully simple tossed salad

All right, so I'm a day late and it's a Salad Sunday this week. Sue me.

It's worth the wait anyway. This salad is legendary, and I owe it to a friend, who first wooed me with a variation of this salad over Christmas 2011. The impressive part is that it's only dressing and lettuce, and yet it's anything but bland. This makes an excellent side for pasta dishes, and a lot of people have told me it tastes like a vegan Caesar salad (and to be fair, my vegan Caesar was based off of it). It's tangy and garlicky and a really good way to get roughage into otherwise reluctant tummies. In fact, I'm pretty sure you could tear up some kale leaves and toss them with the lettuce and nobody would be any the wiser...

This dressing is so simple, and yet so good that I always go back for a second helping of this salad.

And so without further ado, here's one of the best (and easiest-to-make) green salads I've ever had.


Sinfully simple tossed salad
Serves 6

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 T white vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 head green leaf lettuce

Whisk together all ingredients but lettuce. Tear the lettuce into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss well, then serve.

Comments