Hummus

Hummus is super adaptable. This one has roasted red pepper!
Someone's finally called me out. Here I am, always talking about hummus, how good is is for you, and how easy it is to make. I should have seen it coming, then, when my friend asks me the other day, "So then where's the recipe on your blog?" Well played.

What I'll start off by saying is that I'm sort of in the camp of there's no such thing as too much garlic. I mean, beautiful, whole roasted cloves on the pizza I had with Caro yesterday? Yes, ma'am. 24 cloves of garlic in the baked vegan sweet potato samosas? You bet. But there's a very important distinction here. These are cooked. Hummus has raw garlic. And that you can overdo. Trust me, I made an inedible batch of hummus a few years ago by only using cloves that were too big. Imagine if I'd doubled it...

So, for your own sake, and the sake of anyone around you who'll have to deal with your week-long garlic breath otherwise, please respect the garlic limit here unless you roast it first. On your second batch, then innovate if you weren't happy with the garlic content.


If you've never had homemade hummus, it begs the question: why not? It's super easy to make, and it just tastes so much fresher without all the extra nonsense added in. It's just good, clean ingredients for a nice, clean taste.

I will also say that this is super versatile. You can add any number of things to it and it'll just be even better. I've added roasted red pepper, roasted eggplant, and chili flakes, to name a few things. If you're adding something juicy (like roasted peppers), I'd suggest knocking down the water by a bit. Mine was so runny that we had to practically pour it into our mouths rather than dip stuff in it (although nobody was complaining...).

This hummus has roasted eggplant blended in.
Hummus
Makes about 3-4 cups

2 cups cooked chickpeas
1 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
4-5 cloves garlic
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste

Measure all ingredients except salt and pepper into the bowl of your food processor and process until smooth. Taste for salt and pepper (if using canned chickpeas, you'll need less salt, for instance) and season to taste. Stores in an airtight container in the fridge for about 1 week.

Comments