A walk by the river

About three weeks ago, I sat down and wrote a Green Plan. What is a Green Plan? It's rather like a business plan, only pertaining to the steps I plan to take towards a greener future, rather than a more successful business. In it I included sections on reducing my personal waste (see the 90% waste challenge), using the most eco-friendly transportation possible, and eating in a way that has a minimal impact on the planet. But I also included a section on connecting with green spaces. Why? Because there is a lot of joy and understanding you can get from spending time with nature.

The other night, I went for a walk with a friend of mine. We went down to the Ottawa River Parkway, where we walked along a path that curls around the edge of the river. Even though it was dark, and the sunset had passed, and we would not see all the beautiful colours of nature, it was extremely calming and beautiful to look out onto the water and watch the moonlight ripple on its surface. It was strangely spiritual to feel the breeze on my skin and realize I could hardly hear anything except the insects buzzing and chirping at us. It was an amazing experience.

There is so much solace to be found in nature, and that's why it's so important for us to spend time within it. We come to appreciate it, understand it, and feel an amazing connection to it that makes us want to do anything but make choices that threaten it. If nothing else, I am even more determined to become greener knowing that if everyone made an effort, green spaces down by the river would be there for my children and grandchildren to experience.

So in my Green Plan are things like "finding new green spaces in Ottawa" and "having a picnic at least once a week in summer." These things may seem silly to some, but to me they are essential. They are the inspiration behind all else that I will do to help the planet. They are the reminders that I can make a positive change in the world.

Comments