What "green" means to me

With all the different meanings that the idea of "green" has come to have, I wanted to set forth what the word means to me.

Being green is about respect. It respects the environment, rather than abusing it. It respects the land, water, air, and living creatures that are a part of this earth, including our fellow man. It means taking only what is necessary, re-using everything that can be, and leaving as little waste as possible behind. We only have one earth, and while we like to think we're very clever (which I suppose we are), Mother Earth always has the last say. It seems like ticking her off is not a good idea, and I feel that anyone who's ever gotten on their mother's bad side will be inclined to agree with me.

On this blog, I will share my experiences related to becoming greener. While I already consider myself to be quite green, I am always learning. There is always something new I can do, or new ways I can improve or fine-tune what I'm already doing. I hope that by sharing these lessons, I can help to show that being green does not need to be expensive, difficult, or an idea we come to associate with party poopers.

Most of all, I want to share with you the small satisfactions and benefits that I've enjoyed as a result of my new, greener lifestyle. With a little effort, I wager that many will also begin to creep into your life!

Comments